MAY 14, 2007
Call to Order - Roll Call.
The Invocation will be delivered by Council Member Alfred T. Dowe, Jr.
The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America will
be led by Mayor C. Nelson Harris.
Meetings of Roanoke City Council are televised live on RVTV Channel 3.
Today’s Council meeting will be replayed on Channel 3 on Thursday,
May 17, 2007, at 7:OO p.m., and Saturday, May 19, 2007, at 4:OO p.m. Council
meetings are offered with closed captioning for the hearing impaired.
THE CITY CLERK’S OFFICE NOW PROVIDES THE MqJORITY OF THE CITY
COUNCIL AGENDA ON THE INTERNET FOR VIEWING AND RESEARCH PURPOSES.
TO ACCESS AGENDA MATERIAL, GO TO THE CITY’S HOMEPAGE AT
WWW.ROANOKEGOV.COM, CLICK ON THE ROANOKE CITY COUNCIL ICON,
CLICK ON MEETINGS AND AGENDAS, AND DOWNLOAD THE ADOBE ACROBAT
SOFTWARE TO ACCESS THE AGENDA.
Statement of Purpose. Mayor Harris.
Introduction and Consideration of Ordinances and Resolutions:
A Certificate of the Director of Finance advising that funds required for the
2007-2008 General Fund, Civic Facilities Fund, Parking Fund, Market Building
Fund, Department of Technology Fund, Fleet Management Fund, Risk
Management Fund, School Fund, School Food Services Fund, and Grant Fund
budgets will be available for appropriation.
- Amendment of the City’s Fee Schedule (Compendium) in connection with certain fees for training at the Police Academy, Fire/EMS inspections, parking rates, and Civic Center rental, effective July 1, 2007.
assessment of the Admissions Tax, effective July 1, 2007.
3. Amendment of the City Code to eliminate the motor vehicle decals and
City’s motor vehicle license tax structure, effective January 1, 2008.
4. Amendments of the City Code to establish a program for special
taxation of certain energy-efficient buildings and to set a special tax
rate for such buildings, effective July 1, 2007.
5. Adoption of the Annual General, Civic Facilities, Parking, Market
Building, Department of Technology, Fleet Management, Risk
Management, School, School Food Services, and Grant Funds
6. Appropriations for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2007 and ending
June 30, 2008.
7. Adoption and establishment of a Pay Plan for officers and employees of
the City, effective July 1, 2007, and providing for certain salary
adjustments and merit increases; authorizing annual salary increments
for certain officers and employees; continuation of various programs;
payment of a monthly stipend to certain board and commission
members; salary of the City’s General Registrar; salaries of the City’s
Constitutional Officers; and salaries of the Mayor, Vice-Mayor, and
Members of Council. Approval of certain supplemental benefits under the City of Roanoke Pension Plan, effective July 1 , 2007.
8. Endorsement of an update to the Capital Improvement Program for fiscal
year 2008-201 2; and appropriation of funds.
9. Appropriation of funds for the YMCA Aquatic Center, in the amount of
$200,000.00; and Greenway Development Projects, in the amount of
10. Appropriation of $335,000.00 in connection with local incentives for
Enterprise Zone Projects.
11. Approval of the 2007-2008 Annual Update to the 2005-2010
Consolidated Plan and authorization to submit the complete Annual
Update to the United States Department of Housing and Urban
Development (HUD) for review and approval.
By the by - you can view the entire budget yourself, online here. (.pdf)
have fun with the "lack of information society."