1/31/06

This is a school?

As I said, I went to a smallish old high school in NY.

Classrooms as you would expect them, painted in surplus paint, with desks and chairs in a row. Only in the "artsy" classes were there different seating options.

I personally still have a hard time accepting (and not just here, anywhere) these modern Learnatoriums. Both city and county schools designs are foreign to me. I mean, we packed about 1,000 kids into that building (not happily but we did) and there was learning. But these schools here, with the funky designs resembling malls more than schools, modern and innovative features like wifi cafeterias and such.. it strikes me as less than conducive to learning.

And now County Schools are running a pilot program testing the idea of "no more finals" for certain classes? Are we expecting the students to have a "curriculum vitae" from kindergarden now?

Getting rid of finals. Insane... welcome to the end of any semblance of education as we all grew up with it. I fear what our grandchildren will be not doing in school.

No comments: