1/25/06

Mystery in the park

This time I actually had my camera with me when I was in Elmwood... last time I was there, wandering (safely! unaccosted by the homeless!) and exploring the park, I came across this tree. A tree with pipes embedded within.
Yeah, you heard me - pipes embedded within the tree. And unless it's meant to be an aid to climbing the tree - I can see no reason for a tree to be peirced. I did some futher searching this time with my camera, and came across this:
If you look really closely, inside the hole - at the 11 o'clock position, you can see a grey line. Its a nail. One of 3 which are also embedded within this hole in the tree. I realize I was risking assault by squirrel in taking these photos, but I really need answers. How did the tree gain those nails deep within, to the point where the only parts showing are the sharp ends? The heads must be embedded within the wood itself.

My theory, this tree was once part of the fence corner for Elmwood, back when it was privately owned. And the fence was directly attached to the tree. But even that sounds barely plausible to me. So I turn to you, the viewing public - any ideas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is this is a rigged up support system for the branches of the tree. The tree grows into it over time and wha la, a built in safety support system. That's my edumecated guess.

RoanokeFound said...

well it kinda needs it with that one big branch (with the nails) being nearly totally hollow.

I guess its possible....