12/1/05

roanoke.com: Southwest Virginia starts here - on the Internet

roanoke.com: Southwest Virginia starts here - on the Internet: "Today's columns and blogs

Blog:
1939 Cadillac Airport Crash Truck
By Rhett Fleitz | More local bloggers
"
/run bitching.exe

Nothing against Rhett, but I have been told by several people that they have contacted the Times about the blog link not changing for a long time. Rhett's been the link for nearly 2 weeks now. Before that, the previous link was nearly 2 weeks. They are complaining about the fact that by keeping the link static, its very hard to tell if anything interesting is being posted without going through each and every link on the blog page itself.

This is what Im hearing - e-mails sent to the Times are going unanswered, and no changes are being made. Ive seen software that will change the link randomly. Maybe the Times should look into this, seeing as how there is apparently no one manning the wheel anymore.

Im getting the feeling that the Times is done with Bloggers, and will just let the whole section deteriorate until its gone. Like they did with the history section of the website. Nice to know we are a novelty. Speaks volumes of them.

/quit bitching.exe

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Keith,

You've got a good point about the blogs on roanoke.com, and it's my fault. It's my job to watch it and I haven't been good with that lately, and there's really no excuse. Fortunately, I read the blogs we link to and I pay attention to what you guys write. I'll do better. I value the blogs and look to add more in the future.

In the meantime, thanks for keeping me on my toes.

John Jackson
Online editor, roanoke.com

RoanokeFound said...

John,

Thanks for admitting blame, but you know what - its not totally your fault. If you've taken over the entirety of Jim's job, then you barely have the time to get everything done. But thanks for actually reading us, and really it comes down to enjoyment.

As long as your enjoying what your reading, then little else matters. Keeping my readers happy is my job - building readership is my job by keeping my readers happy. So as long as your reading, its all good.

Thanks for the attention though..

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you said Roanokefound, in your entry. The Times doesn't really give a hoot about the blogs. They started that section when the blogs were rising and have since forced it to the bottom of the front page and isn't easy to find.

Kudos to the Times blog guy admitting blame tho.

and yes, I'm still bitter about being booted off the list. hehe. But because my blog has since really found an audience and I wish I could expand that.