10/25/05

As overheard on WFIR... (and a ditty)

..."highs in the mid forties today, with some snow showers tonight, lows in the mid thirties..."

WHAT????

Now Im no stranger to snow, I can remember walking all the way around my house as a kid, outside on the snow - over the fence (buried by snow), and being level with the first floor windows.

Of course, that was in February. And in the northeast, you tend to expect such things whenever you have vacation from school, because heaven forbid it should happen during school and they have to close for a snow day.

Up in NY, minimum snow on ground for school to close: 6 inches. 6 inches, 2 inches of solid ice (it happened one year), or imminent threat of 6+ inches, with at least 4 on the ground.

Which meant yes, you could be at school in the middle of a snowstorm. As long as the roads are clear enough in the morning for you to get there - your probably there all day. How you get home afterwards is your issue.

I walked. (Uphill both ways) A round trip to school and back was nearly a mile and a half. But snow before halloween?

Not even a flurry passes my memory. Before thanksgiving, sure - I remember that.. 2-3 inches, just enough to toss a snowball (kids still do that right? without fear of criminal charges?).

Fall was always for cold driving rain, puddles the size of Texas that the high school kids would drive through splashing anyone in the wake. Cold nights, cool days, football, piles of leaves to tromp through, trips to the punkin patch to grab a gourd or two, caramel apples. All that nice stuff.

But not snow.

Sidenote to Ms. Elenaeous' Halloween posting.
As I wandered weak and weary, through Amazon.coms pages cheery;
to the gold box I did wander, last minute deals I did ponder;
sales and savings and deals galore, but something troubling - something more;
CD's appearing by the click, comprehension getting thick;
5 offers for music I'd heard before, innocent enough but something more;
being as its Halloween, gothy feel and gothy scene;
suprise as my past rears its ugly head, 5 albums by The Creatures;
cold feeling of dread, For you see The Creatures is helmed by a gothic queen;
Siouxie of the Banshees, a gothic dream;
my past awoken my ears did ring, redolent in memories of.. something more;
Did I not just write about my gothy history, is Amazon embarking on some kind of mystery;
reading far into the blogs, had I looked the other day - offers for dogs?;
or is it my mind playing tricks again, as we approach this Samhain;
Or could it be the ol' mans going mental again?

The reply on the wind told me the cure....

Something more... something more...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo!