8/2/05

BST12: Welcome, won't you join us for a while?

It was a long drive to UVA. Long.. dull... drive. Plus, I was not looking forward to what they had to say. Still thinking it was nothing major, delusional as I always am.

We get there, park, go into the Neurosurgery offices and wait.

We are the only ones there. Kinda creepy. Fill out paperwork, hand over the films.

Now at this point, I don't remember anymore if it was Dr. Kassell or Dr. Jane Sr. that called us back into the office. I just remember there being a mood of expectant tension. He told us how he reviewed the films, then uttered the words no one was expecting.

Its a tumor.

A shockwave of stunned silence exploded into the room. The good Dr. broke it by mentioning that it was a particularly rare one, but by all indications - if it is the type he thought it was, it would be benign.

Central Neurocytoma. One of the rarest, and dangerous types.

From my studies on this little brainbastard, it is a slow growing tumor. Most likely I had it since birth, but until it hits a size where it causes problems, there is no knowing its there. It blocks the flow of Cerebro-Spinal Fluid causing the brain to crush under the pressure buildup. It is operable, due to location, and has a very good outcome for returning to normal life. Usually.

However, when you hear the doctor say (in terms of him admitting me for surgery and stablilzation) "You can either stay with us for the weekend, or you can go home and die suddenly," things have gotten a little out of hand.

We would know more after I had an MRI.

I HAVE NO BRAIN MOMENT: (another fine example of my dimwittedness) We go out to the car after figuring out the admissions thing. Im sitting there, smoking my brains out, and I call my wife (girlfriend at the time). Mind you Im sitting in the backseat of my parents car, they are sitting in the front.

I tell her that we found out what is going on with my head, and that I had "the Big C." To this day, echoing somewhere above C-Ville is my mothers voice yelling "It's not cancer, Its a tumor!" See, No brain..

I handed the phone to my mother who properly explained things. Thankfully.

So off to admitting we went.

And on that note, I must be off - more to come later today - I have things to accomplish.

No comments: