7/25/05

BST5A: In another hour or so...

I was arriving at Lynchburg. Dazed, confused, but seeing my parents for the first time in a while.

Into the car and back to 460, to link up with 122 to head down to the lake.

Hey, thats right - I didn't pack anything. Lets stop at Walmart! WOO HOO! 24 hour Walmart!!!!

Stay in the car? I dont think so...

Well in retrospect, I probably should have.

Not 100 feet into the store, as I was perusing the produce; as my mother went off in search of clean socks and such, as my father stood by watching me, I went down.

Like a sack of wet potatoes, I hit the floor.

Or would have, had the reflexes of a former NYPD lieutenant not put themselves between my head and the floor. Somehow, he got his arms under mine, and was able to keep me afloat. The steely nerves of a cop while his family crumbles around him. Well, me anyway. His son.

The manager on duty brought me a chair to sit in, though of course I insisted I was fine.

We were out of there as fast as possible, and home faster than that.

That night I don't recall much of - except for seeing my grandmother, who was not so happy to see me in my current state.

It was not the best conditions for a homecoming.

More tomorrow

No comments: