6/26/05

Allright - You ready?

The page will be up either tonight, or tomorrow early... or late - depending on how the images shake out..

better make some popcorn

*******************UPDATE***********************

10 hours between shifts is not enough time to get the images done and overwith, so its going to have to wait till tomorrow - which means a late arrival tomorrow night, or early early Tuesday.

I do apologise, but to tide you over, heres a list of all the Hotels in Roanoke. Ever. (well, as far as I can tell anyway)

Eventually I hope to have an illustrated page up.

1919) Hotel Cox, Holt, Kimball, Randolph, Roanoke, Hampton, and Travellers, Ritz, Anderson.

1893) Hotel Woltz, St. James, Felix, Lee, Roanoke.

1889) City Hotel, Hotel Felix, Palace Hotel, Rorer Park Hotel, Woltz Hotel, Hotel Roanoke.

1893) Woltz Hotel, Ponce De Leon Hotel, Hotel Felix, Hotel Lee.

Ahh what the heck - heres the hospitals too - soon to be the next update to Forgotten Roanoke, once I get this one out of the way. I promise it wont take a month or more.. 2 weeks, thats the schedule Im shooting for.

Hospitals: Jefferson - 1311 Franklin Rd - 1907 (HSMM building on Franklin, former nurses home now parking lot.)

Lewis Gale Hospital - 419 3rd st. and 301 Luck Ave.1909
(merged with Jefferson to form the Community Hospital of the Roanoke Valley - 1965)

Burrell Memorial Hospital 611 McDowell St. @ 7th. aka Allegheny Institute 1890-1919

Roanoke Memorial (& Crippled Childrens) Hospital 1900-1988 (Carilion)

Shenendoah Hospital 712 Campbell @ 7th sw. 1913-1936

King's Daughters 'Home for Sick' 1890 - believed to be in Old Southwest.

Burrell Hospital (1915) 311 1st. St.

St. Charles Hospital (19??) 527 Mountain bet. 5th and 6th sw.

Well, obviously alot of history in hospitality and healthcare here in Roanoke. Got my work cut out for me, especially considering how many smaller, pop-up hotels there were.

Ever look at the backside of Billy's Ritz? Faded ad up there, view it while you can before the stainless-steel nightmare lands. It reads "Powhatan Hotel" and seems to have an arrow directing to a location. As of yet, I have no information on any Powhatan Hotel.

blah blah, if I had the information it wouldnt be a challenge. Right?

Anyone out there know of any other hotels I might be missing? Oh, and yes - I allready have the Hotel Raliegh. What a story that one makes...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hotel Earl- it was on the corner of Williamson and Campbell. Where twists and turns is now. Same building I am pretty sure however it burned in the late 80's I'm pretty sure. I will see if I can dig up an article on it. I will let you know some day when I get to the Union Hall and you can stop by and look at some of the stuff we have. BTW the Hotel Earl also was known as another name before although I am not sure what it was. You probably do.

RoanokeFound said...

ahh yes, the Hotel Earl(e) aka the Hotel Shenendoah.

Lets just say that when it burned, there was no rush to put the fire out.

I swear one day Im gonna take you up on these offers, when I can get things straight to where I CAN do things again lol.

Anonymous said...

I happened to run across your blog while doing research on Roanoke, VA. I was looking for information about Burrell Memorial Hospital. On this post (6/26/2005) you mentioned that you would be posting pictures. Were you able to post pictures of Burrell Memorial Hospital? I am interested because my grandfather was one of the co-founders and the first president of the hospital. His name was Shadrach Franklin Williman. BTW do you have any other information or leads to info concerning Burrell and its founders. Thanks in advance.