4/21/06

Subtle differences

Since my post on the betrayal of the population of Roanoke by the city itself, I have have recieved much in the way of comment. Both on and offline. From those of a like age, I have been suprised to find much in the way of agreement. The younger express an interest, but not the full understanding. The older trend towards disbelief.

But all come together on the viewpoint that there are certain basics lacking here in Roanoke. Loyalty.

It seems a learned behavior to a certain extent. Businesses speak of loyalty, but do not practice it. As this article points out in todays Times, it is seemingly very hard to make friends today. Partly this is due to the compartmentalized world we live in now. But a large part of it is due to the fact that we don't connect anymore.

We used to connect at work, at church, at the bar... on the street, greeting a friend could take 10 minutes while you made conversation, inquired about life and the family, made plans - then finally you were on your way.

When was the last time you grabbed the crew and went up Mill Mountain to have a BBQ in the park (yes, the city does provide the grills - you provide fuel and food). It doesn't take much, but its an effort. And these days, few seem to feel the effort is worth it.

Sure, technology has made it easier to keep track of people, so you can get in touch with them when you want. But we fail to communicate.

My greatest frustration with the blog, the website, and everything else - I am always looking for more feedback - a 2 way conversation with the reader. I will eventually hit a wall in my findings, or am seeking a bit of information only someone with a family history in Roanoke might know. Or someone who works in the very building Im writing about.

I might get one or two e-mails once in a while, I usually respond - then no more.

If I started offering tours (an idea which I have toyed with), my biggest concern is having people say they will come, then not show. I could communicate till my head falls off, sometimes it just doesnt matter. And it's not just a Roanoke problem, its the 21st century.

Whats the saving grace of the larger cities? NY, LA, Chicago, Newark? Communities. Self-reliant, supporting communities. Built around church, neighborhood, parks, ethnic heritage, schools - but it all comes down to loyalty for place, an idea, something. Something to be loyal to. Where are the loyaties here?

Victory Stadium? Hardly. Downtown engenders loyalty to an extent. But not the same kind of loyalty I am talking about.

The biggest single item a large number of Roanokers are loyal to is the Star. It is our one commonality. Quietly they replaced the viewing platform, an upgrade that was not crowed about, advertised, and debated over. It was something we all knew was needed. Something no one should debate.

But the Star is all encompassing, its like saying your loyal to the Roanoke Valley. Roanoke has neighborhoods, but is anyone loyal to them? We are only loyal to our schools as long as we have children in them. And what about the local bars? Well, not many options for loyalty there.

In NY, you could have 4 bakeries in a neighborhood. People will be viciously loyal to one of them, and out of that loyalty is born kinship. Kinship, under the right conditions, leads to friendship.

It's a subtle difference between Roanoke and the other cities Roanoke strives to be. But an important one.

2nd thought for the day. Told you there might be another one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to propose the start of something...how about some Roanoke bloggers and readers pick a date and time and meet like they do in Floyd. I think it could be fun to meet like and un-like minded individuals, etc. Any takers? I'll even wear a carnation so you know who I am....

Anonymous said...

hehe carnation.......

but that's actually a good idea.

Anonymous said...

This sounds good to me. Kieth, I think we can come up with something. What days work the best for everyone. I am able to adjust my schedule if need be. We can meet for lunch downtown on a weekend or something. If not, I would be happy to open my house to the group of bloggers we have. Let me know.

RoanokeFound said...

Mr. Thoughtz, send me your e-mail so I can add you to the group

roanoke.foundATgmail.com