4/10/06

Confessions of a Serial Dreamer

" Sleep, my friend, and you will see
That dream is my reality" - Metallica "Sanitarium"

I have an admission to make. I walk around looking just like any of you. I might be on the Market, wandering around and checking out the wares for sale. But what you see are fruits, vegetables and crafts. Sometimes I see that. But there are times when suddenly, my vision swings and shifts into a cine-scope, Panavision production. At times, in black and white, and other times in full color.

I see as the camera would see, capturing the plot lines and built-in emotions one would expect from a large-scale, big budget hollywood production.

Sometimes its a film-noir piece about man's struggle to reconcile the past with the future. Other times it's a "feel good" hit, full of soft-focus moments and sweeping orchestral hits.

I cannot control when the cinematic vision takes hold. Sometimes it might be a single shadow on a wall, others it might be a full on flashback moment to a historical piece about Roanoke circa 1899 caused by a faded image on a wall.

If anyone is ever looking to make a movie about Roanoke, or in Roanoke - I'd be more than happy to offer my services laying out shots, camera angles, and backdrops.

At times it is a curse, preventing me from focusing on the here and now. Other times it is my greatest asset. It's what allows me to deliver the pages to you with a rich context. (I hope anyway.)

But if you should see me on the street, and I seem dazed or dreaming, just ignore it. It's a moment, and will pass in time.

No comments: