12/6/05

Now, with 10% less brain than before!

I nearly forgot I still have to finish off the BST Chronicles. So look for the final chapter in that story (well final in a sense of story continutity - unless you really want to hear about my yearly MRI's) sometime in the next day or two.

A word about the snowfall. As much as my heart was set on having a mega-blast snowfall, I understand how badly it would cripple the city. As evidenced by the driving I saw on the roads today.

Sadly, it was no worse than usual.

Although, I do have to say I am proud - I barely heard sirens today, and did not hear Lifeflight 10 at all. I might have been in the freezer.

But on an interesting note, one of the little factoids I love about snow, it amplifies sound. The snow has stopped falling - some misty fog has settled in, but I can hear jets high above clear as day. Reminds me of NY, on the cold winter nights, I can tune my radio to one of the more powerful NY AM stations, and listen in nearly clearly. I assume that the same forces which guide errant radio waves this far south from Gotham are also responsible for my being able to hear the freight line that runs behind Tanglewood as clear as if it were in my backyard.

I would still rather hear the chug of a passenger train, but in the cold dark night - it's not hard to imagine it is.

And soon it may be: If we all ask Santa, maybe we can get a viable alternative to the flying lawnmowers that run from Roanoke Regional and get this ol' railtown humming again.

Another dream.. which leads to another dream..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the TDX. Can I have that for Christmas, Santa?

Anonymous said...

Well I am suprised by the fact that you did not call out the Meteorologists. Once again they fall short. Sure it is not an exact science. The amazing thing is that they blame the lack of accumulation on the fact that it was so warm the day before. Yet it seems as though they did not find out it was so warm the day before, til the day after. What gives.