10/12/05

messageList

"The ideas for the market could greatly benefit the downtown area, but it would be nice to see the vendors area a pedestrian mall similar to Charlottesville. Some type of special parking can be provided to the vendors."

The ol' Roanoke.com messageboard in its newest incarnation, and not wholly thrilling either. No easy interface for tracking comments, and I get the feeling they are approving messages before posting them. But thats just lil ol paranoid me.

Now, good idea. The pedestrian mall in Charlottesville is nice. I've been a few times during my "time served" at UVA. Its a nice spot to spend an afternoon, or a walk. But lest we forget, at the head (coming from UVA itself, walking) is the Ice Rink. I'd say a year-round ice rink is a pretty big attraction in itself. But then the 'promenade' that is the pedestrian mall could be considered quite the draw. With one major drawback. If you venture outside the bounds of the mall, just a short walk up the streets, you find yourself in a not-so-nice area. Im not saying anything about the people there, I am saying it does not at all reflect or resemble the interior mall.

In addition, that mall is.. well, a mall really. There is a CVS, A&N, clothing stores (though I do not remember which national chain I saw there). There is a food court type area, and I understand its for one restaurant in particular, but it looks just like the tables at Valley View, just outdoors. To me, it takes up space in the middle of the whole walk. I would move the tables closer to the restaurant itself, and leave the middle free for pedestrians and pedestrian watching.

Anyway, the 'message board' at the times is pretty interesting on the whole ReDesign V2.0 Beta.

Hey, thats catchy. ReD2B. I like..

No comments: