10/9/05

General Announcement and Press Release #1 from Forgotten-Roanoke.com

Allright, I've had a bit of thinking to do on this one, and I think I have reached a decision.

Forgotten-Roanoke.com will begin updating every 2-2.5 weeks.

Beginning next week, updates will land on either a Sunday or Monday. I have increasingly found that as I travel back and forth in time, attempting to keep up with the latest and the historic is requiring more in-depth work than the initial pages would suggest. It's easy to find things, come up with lists of places - but very hard to get the evidence of such things. Sure there was a hospital at the intersection on Franklin and Walnut, where HSMM is now located, but how long ago? And how much is left? I can tell you personally, from passing that spot daily, not much. As a matter of fact, only the vaguest outline of the hospital and associated school of nursing is still existing.

I have been getting leads from the public, which I always welcome (email them here) which have led me to some interesting places. Plus I have 2 large projects planned for the near future, one of which I need the leaves to fall from the trees for.

The RoanokeFound Podcast, normally hosted with Odeo is on its way. It's done, I just seem to be having trouble uploading it for unknown reasons. I love doing these things, and hope you are enjoying them. I would like to take the podcast to broadcast one day, and possibly begin RadioForgottenRoanoke. Once a week, maybe an hour or two. Calls, guests, the whole 8.5 yards. Although the face of media might change before that even happens, so just keep your eyes peeled.

The RoanokeFound Blog (do I need to link to what you are allready reading?) will remain as is, with the addition of occasional PhoneCasts - where I go out and hit the streets, reporting live from places and events. I did mean to do one from Harvest Fest, but got so distracted by all the produce I forgot. (Lest you forget, I am a Chef in what little spare time I have.)

There are other, smaller projects in the works. Some are independant, some are collaborations with other bloggers. And I'd still like to see the Heironimous building become the Official Museum of the City of Roanoke. But thats just me.

I have 2 projects on the table right now, the first of which is the Flood of 1985. Im hoping to gather personal recollections and photographs to illustrate what could be considered a "watershed" (sorry) moment for Roanoke. This will be a collaborative effort, along with Rhett at RoanokeFireFighters.

The 2nd project I cannot discuss at this time. Just know that it will be complete when the leaves are off the trees, and the chill winds of winter have set in. It involves a piece of Roanoke's past, which is still highly visible today and still talked about. And no, Forgotten Roanoke will NOT be climbing to the top of the Star.

I will also ask for your help from time to time, as with the Flood of 85 project, if anyone has any information, recollections or photographs they would like to share, contact me here. I would also like any information on where everything went from the old Mill Mountain Childrens Zoo. Some of those pieces look familiar from when I was growing up in NY, and I am curious if there was a "fire sale" to get rid of it, or if they were mass produced by some company.

Well, thats all for now.. Remember - the more things change the more we report it.

By the by, Freshmarket is great. Highly reccomended. Although I would say perhaps when there is not 3/4ths the population of Roanoke there, as was when I went.

No comments: