9/27/05

roanoke.com - Extra stories -A Star City of South of the Border?

roanoke.com - Extra stories -A Star City of South of the Border?

It looks like the Star City is about to gain a new Sister City, San Miguel De Allende, Mexico. Our mayor (evil goatee or not) took a handful of Roanoke's artists with him. Among them was John Reburn, owner of the Roanoke Valley Printworks on Salem Ave. just to the right of "Say Cheese."

I met John roughly a week ago when I finally gave into temptation and entered the shop (which I had not been in since Wicked Wicks closed his business).

I wonder if John knows the history of the store, including the large wood peice which lines the back wall?

But anyway, aside from the Roanoke/San Miguel de Allende commonalities, John notes one thing - much like Roanoke, a good chunk of its population is missing. "People in their 20's and 30's" as the article puts it.

Well first off, Im 30 and I can assume you Im not missing, my mind maybe - but not me personally.

But if you keep scrolling downwards in the article, you come across the 2nd peice. An article on a museum complex that is being built in Biloxi, Missisippi. Which has been designed by Frank "I was on the Simpsons" Gehry. You can see it HERE. Make note of one thing, the museum complex makes use of the land as it is. It has trees in and among the buildings, and no building that does not compliment the existing trees. There is a house which will also be a gallery for artwork, it is historic and old. And it is given its own feature location in the complex - it does not have any of the new buildings hovering above it. I guess Mr. Stout was absent on the day that Mr. Gehry was showing how to be a good designer.

Oh, and for those of you who might be interested, John Reburn designed the posters for the Roanoke Harvest Festival coming up this weekend. When I first saw them, among all the relics in his shop - I thought they were posters from the Roanoke Fair Grounds, circa 1900 or so. He's talented to say the least.

Side note: Is it just me, or does it seem like its always Kevin Kittredge's articles which catch my eye.


Technorati tags: , ,

No comments: