9/16/05

roanoke.com - Editorial Columnists Stories -New home, no place to hide

roanoke.com - Editorial Columnists Stories -New home, no place to hide: “When Tommy Denton called me in June and asked if I was interested in joining The Roanoke Times' editorial team, I jumped at the opportunity. The Times editorial page under Denton has earned a reputation in editorial circles for engaging, reasoned writing that generates interest with readers. It is, by all accounts, an exciting place to work. A young, single editorial writer could do a lot worse.

Denton told me that he was looking for someone who could bring a different perspective to the page, someone who could speak for younger people in an area that is watching many of them move away. I am, after all, one of those people. I just happen to be coming instead of going.

On the editorial board, I will advocate for teens and young adults who too often are ignored in the public forum. When officials wonder whether they are doing enough for seniors or families, I will ask whether they are doing enough for young workers who live a different lifestyle. The needs and wants of those groups do not always match, but they are not mutually exclusive, either.”

Allright, yet another one. And just when I thought that the younger bloggers (ie. Texican, Rhett, and myself) were doing a pretty good job of being "the mouse that roared." Well I guess not. Although I do have to say, I heart Roanoke. Roanoke makes me happy, gives me a life I enjoy. Thomas Denton, I am willing to venture, does not even read one of the blogs listed on the RT Blogroll on a regular basis enough to know if the voice of youth is being heard. Then again, it is hard to find the listing for the day's blogs when they are hidden 3/4ths of the way down the main page. Not to mention that annoying Valley View Mall pop-up ad. The blog of the day does need to be updated more than once or twice a week as it is. But I do give sympathies to the person who has to change the code, troll the blogs, and make the choice. This is a new world for newspapers to embark upon. There is no black and white guidebook on how to handle it.

To you, and your cat Snorri; I say welcome. Welcome to Roanoke, and all it is. Which is more than you might think at first. But realize one thing, you might be the questioning print hovering in the hands of officials, but print can only go so far. It is up to the young of the area to speak out and make their concerns known. Did anyone ask if the youth wanted a new Art Museum? Or perhaps a new shopping center along Franklin Rd.? No, it was just assumed they would slide right into the menial jobs of clerk, cashier, and "coffee bar attendant." There is your consideration. If they understand that because they do not speak out now, they lose their voice in the future - then change will occur. Until then, youth of Roanoke, you are all wage-slaves like me. Supplying a product at reasonable cost.

There lies your challenge, make them understand. And I too am coming, with no plans of leaving any time soon. There's far too much opportunity here than Roanoke itself realizes. I might be a transplant, but my roots are set.

Technorati tags: , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok I admit it I missed this in the paper. I did see Helen Davis' letter to the editor.

Anyways, who is this writer. They don't even put his name as the writer. I couldn't find where his picture or column was online. Help please