8/28/05

roanoke.com - Business Stories -Downtown Roanoke wine shop to close

Now I know most people could give a rats patootie about the business section.

I read it religiously, and exactly for moments like this. Not only is Lee & Edwards closing (eventually - go buy something and thank these people for the hard work they put into it.) but quite a few things have closed suddenly.

JaMar on Grandin, a wonderful bakery which started out (I believe) in the Heironymous Building downtown before moving to it's current Grandin location, has closed. Now granted - it was an interesting set up. If you havent been, let me explain - Think of a supermarket, stripped empty of its shelving and cases. Just a giant empty building. Well someone came up with the brilliant idea to make that building a "open" mini-mall. So you walked in, and to your left was JaMar - to the back was a florist of high caliber - and to the right was (recently installed) a Bank. I think I remember seeing a bunch of wine there - but that might be my imagination.

JaMar was simple - a few tables, a few display cases, and simple half walls separating the public space from the kitchen space. It was a fairly large kitchen space at that. Im sure that in the mornings - when the doors would first open, the smell of baked goods that would pummel you as you walked in the door would be like heaven.

Also closed, Lars Hansson's Big and Tall at Crossroads. A store that truly lived up to its name. It was a place where Yao Ming and Shaq would be able to find clothing and footwear that fit them. And it's not easy finding a place that caters to people that large. I personally run in the 1XLT to 2XLT range myself - depending on the clothing, and growing up - I can remember having to shop at a small store instead of being able to go to the mall to get my clothes. Plus, the one I went to would do alterations on most pieces, so I was always assured a great fit. But it was small, in both selection and size. I was recently over by Mr. Hansson's store, and did some window shopping. I was amazed at the size of the place. But thats just me.

One last note about Lee & Edwards. I recently took a stroll through to see what was left, this was about 2 weeks ago. And boy did they have alot of wine at great prices. Not to mention the sheer amount of beer, ale, and stouts they still had. But my eyes lit up when I saw the "wine cellar." Some great, great vintages - some ultra big magnums (one equalling 150 bottles of Champange), and some really curious wines.

Now I am not a big wine buff, I like a good Syrah but not much else. Its a personal quirk. However, Tomahawk Vineyards makes a KILLER Earl of Chatham Meade. If you can find it, grab it and enjoy - its the closest to the true mead I had when I was in Ireland. Also of interest, but I have not yet had the chance to try it, are the Peaks of Otter Vineyards fruit wines. Just an interesting concept, a fruit wine. I know I had an applewine (No, not talking the Boone's Farms either) a few years back at the Smith Mountain Lake Wine Festival, but damned if I can remember who created it.

If you are not a wine person - there are options out there for you. I am not a wine person, Cabernet - Bordeaux - Burgundy, they just fail to interest me. I love to cook with them though. But the smaller, different wines fascinate me.

If anyone has a bottle of Gewurztraminer or Reisling they are sick of seeing, drop a line. Ive been curious about them.

Forgotten-Roanoke will update later in the day. Time to walk the dogs, get the paper, and reflect on the loss of friends.

No comments: