8/28/05

News from The Roanoke Times -200-year-old landmark falls in Roanoke

Damn this sucks twice.

And we had just shown the tree to some out of town friends as part of the "Move to Roanoke" grand tour.

Louis Hudson has an idea to carve the tree up into mementos of some sort.

I think thats perfect. I personally would like to see the Roanoke Star with a image of the tree in the middle of it. Something about 6 inches large, and with all the wood from the tree - there might just be enough for everyone in Roanoke to get one.

However, if you live on Carolina Ave. you should get one larger - maybe 12 inches.

They could even use it as an opportunity to raise funds for the Roanoke City Horticultural program - you know, the ones who put the nice landscaping everywhere. Plus, some of the funds could be used to REPLANT A TREE there, where the mighty has fallen.

I can tell you this much, if Roanke thinks its going to pave that spot over, they are going to have some serious issues - I have a feeling alot of people want a tree replanted.

I wonder if we will be meeting a 21st Century Jack Main.

Godspeed, good tree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Roanoke, now live in NYC and found out about this sad tree falling from a chat with, of all things, a health ins. rep as my plan farms out calls to Roanoke (at least it's not a foreign country getting the business!). I went to Crystal Spring elementary as a child and loved that tree! Can you please tell me more about what happened?