8/13/05

BST20: Wow, I did not know it could multiply that fast.

Hi.

I've got a problem. Now no one knew I had this problem before the shunt surgery. They all figured that the fevers and whatnot were because of the pressure on my brain. Ask my mother, she will tell you like she told the doctors, "His brain can't handle any pressure."

S'true too.

The shunt valve was wide open. The widest setting they have for maximum flow. And yet the fevers did not end.

At this point I was on my 11th day in the hospital, and I had no infection.

Bloodwork, bloodwork, poking and prodding by the In.Fectio.us disease team. More on them in a few days, fun group. Hey, guess what - I was not discharging the Dilantin. It had just continued to build in my body till the levels were off the charts. And as if that was not enough, I was having an allergic-type reaction to it. Apparently my body had decided to go storing it for the winter. It was as if the first dose was all that was needed to keep my body going for the time I was there, and the rest was just being stored for later. But in quantity, I was having a problem with the stuff. One pill I probably would have been fine, its when its one pill a day for 11 days you get worry.

Oh - and my left side was still shot beyond belief. Like a whale missing one fin, I felt like I was constantly rolling over.

But wait - it would not last long, could not last long. The therapists were due any day now.

Although I did have one guilty pleasure. I had a massage therapist.

more later....

No comments: