7/12/05

Art Museum plan faces new test. (Or: Mr. Stout doesn't do details.)

I thought I was reading an archive story today.

Then again, I did just wake up.

Aside from addressing the concerns of John Reburn, theres not much new in this article. Its a rehash of the moving of the Lonesome Dove facade around the corner for no apparent reason.

Until... Well, when you start to read the bottom fifth of the article. Beginning with Mr. Reburn being described as "pro-museum" and "pro-going forward with the project."

He has concerns, as all the utilities are run through the main connection at The Lonesome Dove. He's asking the questions any business-owner would ask. Is it going to affect his business, will he have to vacate temporarily, whats the timeline for construction.

Then this...: In response to Reburn's concerns, Stout said that those kinds of details are "not an issue right now."

G-d Damn. Excuse me Mr. Stout? A legitimate businessmans concerns are "not an issue right now."

In his defense: "We are trying to get a plan together and when we get a plan together, we will deal with the consequences of it," Stout said.

Oh Mr. Stout, that was not wise. So here it begins ladies and gents - the AMWV beings to fall apart at the badly welded, badly designed seams. I do have to say I am sorry to those who so vigiorously supported it.
But now maybe they can see what I have seen all along: Mr. Stout is a egocentric hack, who cares not for Roanoke, certainly not for the people of Roanoke.
Considering how few businesses are still on that stretch of Salem Ave, both sides of the block - I don't think Mr. Stout should be quite so glib when dealing with their concerns.

Less than 60 days now to the groundbreaking, last time I was downtown I saw some sort of construction crew in that parking lot. I have no idea what they were doing, but it made me ill.

60 days to develop a plan that will keep Roanoke and its businesses happy. And Mr. Stout doesn't care for the details.

Yeah, this is going swimmingly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving your deconstruction (sorry I couldn't resist) of this issue. I just read the story online and knew you would have something to say. I too thought it was an accidental reprint. Stout just shot himself in the foot on this one. Shouldn't your plan deal with the consequences Mr. Stout (that is what a plan is after all), or should we work around your every want and need? I think he really means that he is working on an outcome and everything must conform to it. Don't get me started on the Architectural Review Board either. I thought historic preservation was their charge and that it included keeping buildings where they were built. It sounds like they want the museum at any cost.