6/21/05

Someone at DBJ has obviously taken a course in governmental linguistics.

City Market building is big at lunch, but dinner dining seems less certain: "June 21, 2005
City Market building is big at lunch, but dinner dining seems less certain

The debate over what needs to be done to Roanoke's city market building is heating up once again. At a recent city council meeting, some members questioned why the downtown landmark closes so early.
Tenants say business is very strong through the lunch hour, and they are open to the idea of staying open later. But they tell us it's easier said than done, and it therefore probably won't happen any time soon. "

what?

That place is packed during lunch, one can hardly find a block of wood. Or wicker stool. Heck, it reminds me of the 34th St Subway Station at Christmas-time. Only smelly in a good way. I havent found better chinese than I have found at the Market. Once a month (at least) I must have my General Tso there, otherwise I get hives.

Oh yes, hives. nasty.

I say, its the summer. Whats to be lost by staying open late? You know they don't turn that air conditioning off at night, so why not use it. Throw the doors open wide and let the smells entrance all those home-bound worker-bees into debating staying in town for dinner. Or even getting something to go.

Any sale is better than no sale. And summer is the best time to test this idea. Excess sunlight, abundance of warm bodies hanging about with no specific plans. You allready have the inventory, Im sure Sysco and US Foods will be more than happy to deliver again. And if its not well recieved? Well, you tried.

Unless those food stalls are really magical, and turn into punkins' when you close? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Easier said than done... yeah - so hard to assign 2 workers to stand there while you wait for a possible sale.

or do we need a special "Eating after 5" permit?

just try it, stop being whiners.

I'll take a double order of General Tso's to go... but only at 6pm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know I think you might have something here. I think that if indeed it stayed open it would afford many people who wouldn't normally go there the opprotunity to eat there. The only time I eat down there is when I meet my wife who works downtown to eat lunch. I would rather go elsewhere during lunch if I am not in the area than fight that crowd. I think a lot of people think this way, therefore if it was open later I think that people would eat there. This could be the start of something big.