6/21/05

roanoke.com - Extra stories -'Hands Around the World'

Is it that hard to see the difference between art that makes a difference, and art that exisits in indifference?

I love this thing. I think I would love it even if it had nothing to do with the Sister Cities. In its own way it reminds me of the Unisphere in Flushing Meadows park (1964-65 Worlds Fair). It is an artifact, yet still relevant. Its represents the world of tomorrow, yesterday and in the future. As will the "Hands around the World" statue. We were once all together (yes, so what if it was Pangea?) and we will be again in the future, if the continental drift has its way. We might as well get started now.

I like this, I really do. This is perfect for Roanoke. And so what if its not done by some world-renound sculptor who is famous for recycling 1970's ugly curtains and hanging them in parks a la Christo? Its homegrown, honest, and real. If only it were that way with other things.

Get it? THIS is Roanoke. Simple, quiet yet powerfully moving. It does not take a megaphone to make the world notice you anymore. As is evidence by this blog. I cannot tell you where I get hits from, mostly because it baffles me as to how I get them. But around the world, around the town, and around the corner. It's the small voice that can shake the foundations of the Earth now. In the days before the internet, mostly referring to the 80's, garish design and volume were appropriate.

Well, subjectively speaking they were.

It was a reflex reaction to the stone, steel, and glass bricks which sprang up during the 1960's and 70's. Some of which can be seen in our own downtown. In the 80's, design became writ large across the planet. Unexpected designs appeared in areas no one would have considered. Anyone remember Miami before Miami Vice? That wonderfully art deco area was not so sublime, so desired. Many of those buildings were threatened. For a simple example, look at Ocean City, Maryland.

A dangerous mishmash of 19th century seaside houses side by side with what appears to be a monument to the Aztec pyramid builders as designed by a guy named Vinnie who works in concrete.

Anyway - go support it. Its a good thing. Really good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was bound to happen sometime, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I couldn't control my eyes from rolling up into my head when I read this one. Any mention of diversity and my eyes instantly glaze over. This might not happen if it really meant diversity of all kinds including the mind. Don't get me wrong, everyone wants peace (which is what I think this sculpture is meant to represent). Well maybe not everyone but a majority do including me, but in this day and time I can't help my reaction to it. For me it's not just the meaning either, I just can't get that jazzed about the sculpture and there is something about the artist pushing so hard for it to be placed in the park that aggrivates me.

P.S. I haven't forgotten your gracious offer to join in the festivities, I've just been bogged down with life here lately. I fully intend on taking ya'll up on your offer. Does anyone know where I can bum some time, I seem to be running out of it.