11/14/06

Building Empires

There's a time for explaining and a time for acting, and the iron is just beginning to warm, so I guess now would be a good time for explaining.



Where have I been as of late? Short answer, working. Long answer, not working nearly as much as I would like.



There is something about the fall that makes me want to grab a book and read obsessively, which is exactly what I did for the past few weeks - Gregory Maguire's Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, and Son of a Witch.



Interesting reads, both - he has a very different sense of Oz than the one most people are familiar with. If you have ever seen "Return to Oz", which is more aligned with the books, or read any of the series (yes, it was a series - not just a musical), then you'll immediately understand - but not grasp - the world of Maguire's Oz.



So that was that. I have also been bothering my poor keyboard with writings (some hinted at, and some not), stretching even the capabilities of OpenOffice to it's limits.



I have also been cross referencing and 'tagging' some of my archived historical works from Roanoke's past. Interestingly enough, I now believe I can pinpoint exactly when the city changed from a regular Mayor-led city to this bizzare City Manager/City Council polyglot we have - now I just need to find out why.



As the weather turns colder, well - more constantly cold anyway, and that most dreaded of all holidays (for some) arrives, I get electric. Expect more in the way of postings, podcasts, updates, and novelties than ever.



Oh, and the infamous ChefK of Roanoke has his old blog back again. I'm not sure how it happened, but somehow I wrested control away from him - but I signed a legally binding paper saying I would keep my hands off it. So go check in on him from time to time - please. Bad enough I have to work with him, much less get harassed on a daily basis about "how many hits do you have?" and "what, no post today Einstein?"



One step at a time, we are all building empires.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Maguire's others books are good too.....I liked Mirror, Mirror (which is a retelling of snow-white) best......Lost is a weird but highly recommended book by him that has no relation to any fairy tale but seeks to make an interesting tale of a kinda boring life......and finally Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister is a very, very well rounded and good read but its detail can sometimes be overwhelming and yeah its retelling of cinderella.