5/31/06

Getting closer

As I curse myself for not having my camera with me, I send out a news tip, which Im sure someone will grab and run with - get some photos of.

The Lonesome Dove/Tony's Place is falling down.

I'm guessing that all the shaking of the ground has compromised the structure.
Which leads me to question something I saw today down there.

Why would you fill in a hole you just dug?

AM-CAM current image
Wayy in the back there, behind Billy's Ritz. That last yellow machine on the left.. filling in a hole that it had dug just the past week.

Strange. But not nearly as strange as the two large oil tanks which were exhumed and removed in the same day - and hidden from public view (on Salem Ave.) behind a pile of dirt.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They were probably removing a certain depth of unstable base soil that wouldn't meet todays' load requirements. Then they'd replace the unstable base with something with a higher level of stability and strength. Also, maybe because they wanted to find any unusual buried items like oil tanks :) When you take down decades old buildings I can imagine you'd find all sorts of interesting things. Voids, bomb shelters, potential sink holes, etc. Better to spend some time and money now rather than have to take emergency measures down the road after you've put up a very expensive structure :)

Sean

RoanokeFound said...

Sounds like it should be that simple, and normally I would completely agree with you. But certain other activities on the site make me curious as well.

Bound to happen when you pass it twice a day, every day...