4/26/06

Once again, I give you the Roanoke Times Editorial page

Young workers seek more from Roanoke


Allright, I'm going to need a moment here, hold on please.

5....4....3....2....1....*exhales*

Allright, that moment's over. Sometimes Im halfway between bewilderment and stupification when I read a Times editorial. But this one is different.

 I really wish I knew who wrote this one, because Ladies and Gentleman, this one defines the concept of "missing the point." Oh it starts out well enough, Roanoke's not hip, not cool and with-it. Theres a line about attracting retailers, restaurants, bars which will fill the void. Great. Wonderful.

But could someone explain to me how pathetically narrow the view the Times staff holds of these "Generation X and Y" worker-bees with saddlebags of disposeable income?

I am Gen X, or as I like to call it: "The 13th Generation". I work for a living, sweat for a living, grunt for a living.  I am not a high-paid, innovative company worker as the Times would like all us Gen X'rs to be. I am what used to be called "working class." My disposeable income is somewhat limited. More so as I am trying to buy a house. I would not be likely to purchase or lease a "loft or apartment or condominium" downtown. I do not shop at "high-end retailers", nor would I be inclined to do so.

I think the problem with the Times editorial is they are subconciously trying to strike a balance between the retirees the city markets itself to, and the big paycheck volatile-market workers they desire so much.

Can you honestly tell me that a big-paycheck tech worker is more important than the plumbers, police and fire, bus drivers, and carpenters?

They have needs and wants too, but with the current focus on "high-end" life, pricey downtown living, and retirees - they are being shut out of the equation.

So Roanoke Times, how do you propose to attract and retain those who will fight the fires, fix your leaky pipes, cook you a meal, and drive you around? Or are they not as important as those who design a new layout for a website?

Oh wait, they have service-related needs too.

And where are the waitresses, the salespeople, the ones who have to fill the jobs at these "high end" places supposed to live? Are you going to force them out of downtown? Force them out of Roanoke?

Retirees and "big paycheck" people.. go ahead with a plan like this and you are dooming Roanoke in one fell swoop. A city full of people who cannot get the basic services they need to live, will be an empty city soon enough.



No comments: