12/27/05

New York Pizza Shipped Anywhere in the US, traditional pizza, new york style, make your own pizza

Found this today on the internets. Sounds like a good idea and the prices are reasonable. I don't know about the shipping prices though - haven't ordered a pizza yet. Probably will order bagels though when they launch that.

On a side note here, a word about pizza in Roanoke.

I've had NY Pizza out in Vinton, and it's... acceptable. But it is not NY Pizza. As far as Ive seen there is only one place that serves true (to the best of their ability) NY Pizza in Roanoke.

Frank's at Hunting Hills. Hands down the BEST pizza in Roanoke. Now if only they will start making Zeppoli's, life would be perfect.

But Goodfella'z, Papa Johns, Domino's, theyre all awful. Pizza Hut is acceptable as long as you do not confuse it for actual Pizza. Billy and Chico's looks good - but I have not had a chance to try it yet.

Fork in the Alley makes a great wood-fired oven pie. But here's a minor complaint that goes along with the pizza places... Unless its a meatball, chicken cutlet, veal cutlet, or similar Hero, its not supposed to be hot. I've had this problem a few times now, and each time I have had to bite the bullet and eat a hot italian cold cut sub. Next time Im going to say something ahead of time, and make sure that no one actually thinks its acceptable to serve a hot hero with lettuce and tomato.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You left off the best pizza in the valley, Mama Maria's in Salem. As close to NY as you're gonna get, even Sicilian, strombolis and calzones. Definitely worth the drive. It was better when Sal owned it, but he's gone to the New River Mall and although we do venture once or twice a year there it's just too darn far. He will be returning in about 2 years when the "25-mile radius" part of the contract expires. Can't wait, but until then this definitely surpasses even Frank's.

Anonymous said...

I think the best two spots for pizza in the Roanoke Valley are the Deli Shoppe (on Walnut, just off Jefferson) and Grace's (on Grandin Road, next to the theater).

Chico and Billy's ranks a distant third.

RoanokeFound said...

Grace's is good pizza, and the more I think about it - the more I think that being spanish has something to do with making good pizza.

Up in NYC, most pizza places with the really good pizza are owned by Italians, but the kitchen in almost totally Mexican.

And I still say Franks trumps all...

I have not tried the Deli Shoppe, mainly due to some unpleasant word of mouth.

And I do not get to Salem as often as I would like, but next time I will be sure to try Mama Maria's. But pizza is subjective, alot of what you like depends on which borough you are from. Brooklyn pizza was good, but never as good as I was hoping. And while I will admit that Queens had some shady pizza operations, I still think it was some of the best pie I've ever had.

Anonymous said...

I do have to agree with Frank's being the best in town that I have had, so far. We used to live off of that stuff a few summers ago. We used to go to the one in Vinton though. They have a dam good "combo sub", more like an Italian sub if you ask me. It's warm though so you might not like it. Grace's is good as well.

I don't know what you heard about the Deli Shoppe, but fogetaboutit. It is the neighborhood hang out and the owners are neighbors (family owned since 1948), I highly recommend it. Their pizza comes in a close second, especially considering the cheap price. Check it out. I also love their corn beef on rye. I'm hungry now.

Anonymous said...

Having eaten pizza at every pizza shop in the Roanoke Valley, including all of the "Frank's " shops, I have found the Frank's on Brambleton Ave., in Roanoke County to be the BEST by far. Although each Frank's uses a very slightly different recipie, the Brambleton store is the "Original" by the founder of the "Frank's Pizza Shops" in Roanoke, Vinton and Daleville.
GREAT DISCUSSION
Claude