6/17/05

GOOOOOOOD MORNING ROANOKE

It was 55 degrees when I woke this morning. And for the first time in 2 weeks, the windows were wide open, the air off. My nose unstuffy. And my sleep -deep. Not long enough, well - never long enough. But deep.

I took the dogs out for the morning constitutional, and nearly stopped dead on my stoop (yes stoop, thats what we northerners call your front steps). Between the clarity of the air, the clear shot view to the mountains to the north and west, and the coolness - I was in heaven. Then I got dragged down the stairs by the dogs.

Worry not, no tragedy ensued. It was your standard rousing walk with the boys. All 3 of us fighting the urge to come in and have breakfast. No, it was far too nice outside. But we, all 3, have other responsabilities. I have things to do, and the dogs - as all dogs do - have to get back to sleep. 18 hours a day is the average for most dogs I read somewhere. Now you know why they call it "a dog's life."

I was dismayed at the lack of content on the Roanoke Times website today. A story about how Roanoke is the 53rd sweatiest city in the nation. Fascinating. The wild kittens of Roanoke, another one of those issues that has been rehashed by every media outlet around. I remember SLS doing a poll not 2 months ago on the same topic. I have yet to be mugged by a cat however. Whereas in NY, being held up at claw-point was nearly a daily occurance.

No real "new" news today apparently. Most of last night's 11 o'clock news storys are the content for todays Times Online. Might just be a slow news day though, weather like this. Even the editorials are on cruise control. A piece on Terri Schiavo, which I cant bring myself to read - much like any story on the Runaway Bride - its overkill. The Medical Examiner in the case basically can't put a finger on what led to her state. However, and if you listened to the inflections in his voice and watched his mannerisims - he firmly believes that had she been properly cared for during those 15 years, this might have never become an issue. Clearly he believes Michael Schiavo should be charged with something, but in the absence of direct evidence of anything - he is powerless.

Must be tough to be a doctor, to see a patient who clearly could have, should have, would have been saved - if only things were done different.

The 2nd Ed. piece is on the Koran burning. On SLS yesterday, the reporter asked the Imam wether he considered this a hate crime. Of course, he said yes - which is true. But in retrospect, when all is said and done - this will be more a crime of blatant stupidity. Most who draw swastikas on Jewish temples, deface catholic churches, or wreck a mosque do so out of sheer stupidity. It takes reason to hate, logic - no matter how twisted - to strike out against a group for whatever reason.

This is more of a "Hey, look at me showin them mooslims somethin'. Payback for 9-11..." blah, blah, blah. Theres only the shallowest thought going on in that pool of intellect. Maybe if time allows later, I will post my memories of 9-11, and all that ensued. A warning if I do, it will not be kind. It will not be like the glorified memories it seems most of you down here have of 9-11. I am not trying to be rude, or untoward - but this has been a long time coming. Since Ive come down, I am constantly asked about it - only to hear the rememberances of someone who is looking at it through the veil of TV. I still have to correct inaccuracies in the story.

On second thought, Im going to save this till 9-11 itself. I think its more appropriate to do it then.

I'll be back later, with something. Its too nice to get all deep today.

No comments: